Portsmouth, Ohio – Shawnee State men's soccer will get the 2017 season underway on Sunday afternoon when they host Saint Xavier (Ill.) at Shawnee Turf.
The Bears went 5-12-1 last season and will be looking to get the 2017 season off to a better start than in 2016. Shawnee State started the year with a 5-0 loss on the road to Asbury (Ky.), part of a three game losing streak to begin last season. Shawnee State is 7-18-1 all-time on opening day, and are 9-17 all-time in home openers.
Saint Xavier enter Sunday with a record of 0-1-0 on the year. The Cougars lost their season opener 3-0 at Rio Grande (Ohio) on Saturday evening. Saint Xavier went 5-10-4 one season ago.
Shawnee State will have a large cadre of new players expected to make significant impacts this season. Names to look out for include English defender Ben Carrington (FR/Worksop, England), Western Michigan University transfer Mitchell Patchett (FR/Dublin, Ohio), and freshman midfielder Tanner Gampp (FR/Minford, Ohio).
In addition to the youngsters, Shawnee State also returns a core of experienced players, including All-Mid-South Conference forwards Bryce Romanello (SO/Lucasville, Ohio) and Caspar Nolte (JR/Germantown, Ohio). Romanello led Shawnee State in scoring with eight goals, while Nolte chipped in with four goals.
Danny Lopez was Saint Xavier's leading scorer a year ago, with the midfielder netting six times in 2016. Lopez also led the Cougars in assists, bagging three.
Kickoff between the Bears and Cougars is set for 2:00pm at Shawnee Turf.
- 2017 marks the 28th season of Shawnee State men's soccer. The program was started in 1990.
- This is the third matchup between the two teams, with Shawnee State having won both the previous games. SSU defeated Saint Xavier 2-0 on August 25, 2013, and would pull out a 2-1 victory at Shawnee Turf on August 30, 2015.
- Saint Xavier has yet to host a game in the all-time series. Shawnee State hosted the 2015 matchup, while the 2013 game was played at Mount Vernon Nazarene.
- This is the second time that Shawnee State will start the season against Saint Xavier. Saint Xavier have never started their season against Shawnee State.
- Shawnee State and Saint Xavier played three common opponents last season: Rio Grande, Campbellsville, and Mount Vernon Nazarene. Both teams went 0-3 against common opponents last year.